Performance Analysis

Performance Analysis is the provision of objective feedback to performers trying to get a positive change in performance. Essentially it is about telling the athlete what actually happened as opposed to what they perceived to be happening. Research shows that on average, athletes and coaches can only recall 30% of performance correctly – performance analysis helps with the remaining 70%.


The analysis can either take place immediately following the performance i.e. side of the track, on the court, end of the pool, or can take place in the laboratory in a more controlled environment. One of the benefits of providing immediate feedback is providing the athlete with the opportunity to make adjustments to improve performance straight away. But the coach is valuable to the analysis as spotting the problem is easy, but the trick is how to fix it and that’s where the coach comes in.
There are a variety of performance analysis techniques employed by advisors and which type used depends largely on whether the session takes place in training or competition. Within a training environment immediate visual feedback software would be used which offer images pre and post-feedback for comparison. In a competitive environment, the performer would look at the profile and stats of their opponent for the next day; they would then discuss the data and that would contribute, along with past experiences, to a gameplan.more info